Great House Midgley
Midgley is a hill top district of Calderdale, east of Hebden Bridge. The township contains parts of
Luddenden, Luddenden Foot and Mytholmroyd.
Midgley appears in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Micile. Other known spellings of Midgley are Micleie (1086), Migeley Miggelay (1235), Migeley (1235), Miglay Mydgelay (1536).
Great House, Midgley was built around 1650 as a minor manor house in the medieval period.
The building is now spilt into three dwellings, but we are investigating the main house.
In the late 18th/early 19th century. Great House was one of the few houses in Midgley. Included were the numbers 1, 2 and 3, number 26, number 49, Lacy Hay Farm, New House Farm, Rose Cottage and Tray Royd.
Great House is a Hall and Cross Wing (a house design with central hall- possibly with an aisle and/or cross passage) and a Hearth Passage (back of firehood formed a wall for a passage) house.
Many people have been born, lived and died in the property.
To name a few:
- 1781 John Sutcliffe bought Great House and six other cottages for £16.00
- 1851 John Scott- the last person to hold a Posy Pinder of Midgley 8 people lived there
- 1891 William Ingham died in the property
- 1895 Williams wife Mary died
- 1929 Elizabeth Sutcliffe died leaving her properties to son John
- 1948 Thomas Shackleton was born
- 1951 sister to Thomas. Elizabeth was born
- John Walker owned the house till his death around 1970
- 1979 Walter Spink died
- 2011 Florence Fowles daughter of Walter died there.
Upcoming events near Halifax: