Bolling Hall Level of Activity 2/5
Bolling Hall is located just outside the centre of Bradford. It lays hidden in a housing estate and is now owned by Bradford council and is used as a museum and an education centre for school children.
The first known person to live at Bolling Hall is Sindi and this is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The house cost five shillings for it’s annual rent (25p today).
The hall was then passed on to the De Laci family.
It is not known how long the De Laci family owned Bolling Hall for, some suggest around 230 years.
The next owner of the hall was William Bolling in 1316. Records show that the Bolling family was incredibly wealthy and they were a very important family in the West Riding.
For many years the Bolling family had possession of the house. Family members were born, lived and died on this property.
The next family to live in Bolling Hall is the Tempest family, who inherited the house from the last survivor of the Bolling family and it stayed in the Tempest family until the late 1600s.
The first known spirit at Bolling Hall appeared in December 1642 when a royalist was invited to stay at Bolling Hall with his army. He was the Earl of Newcastle and vowed that in the morning he would go out and kill every man, woman and child.
That night he went to be and was awaken by a ghostly figure of a woman. She pulled his bedcovers off and started sobbing saying ‘pity poor Bradford’. The Earl was so shaken by the event and when he did attack the following day only ten people died.
Most of the activity happens in the hall and the ghost bedroom. Footsteps have been heard, doors opening and closing for no reason and ghostly voices from beyond the grave have been heard.
Upcoming events near Bradford: